I can’t believe Thanksgiving is next week!……..Who else feels like November is just flying by? It’s crazy because the New Year is only a few weeks away and then it is 2018 🙂 I personally cannot wait for Christmas and getting to be around Family because it is just so wonderful! ……… OKAY now! I am going to backup up to Thanksgiving because it is too early to start my Christmas posts (is it really?) 🙂
Today’s blog post is going to include 3 scrumptuous Thanksgiving Desserts that are easy to make and are unique! Unique? These recipes area little different from your normal pumpkin and apple pies, that is why I love them.
NOTE: I am gluten-free and dairy free so if the recipes call for these ingredients I use my own substitutions. I will leave the flour & butter that I use linked so you can try them out! If you have any further questions leave a comment down below and I will respond 🙂
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
I love this recipe so much because I love pumpkin pie and cheesecake so combining the two tastes so decadent and amazing! This is a really great recipe for the Holidays that you and your family will love!
For the crust:
- 1½ c. graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp. melted butter
- For the cheesecake layer:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c. sour cream
- ⅓ c. granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- For the pumpkin layer:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin puree
- ½ c. packed brown sugar
- ½ c. milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ c. cold water
- ¼ c. granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites
- pinch cream of tartar
- For the garnish:
- Whipped cream (or topping)
- Pumpkin pie spice
- In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and the melted butter. Press into a foil-lined 8 X 8 inch pan.
- In a small bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Add the eggs, mix just until combined, then pour over crust. Place in the oven and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until set. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, separate the three remaining eggs. In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine the yolks, pumpkin puree, brown sugar, milk, salt, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon. Cook, whisking continuously (to prevent the eggs from scrambling) for 8-10 minutes or until mixture reaches 155°-160°. Remove from the heat, whisk in the vanilla extract.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water; let stand for 1 minute, then microwave for 30 seconds or until the gelatin is dissolved. Stir into pumpkin mixture; set aside.
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the granulated sugar, egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer set at low-speed for 30 seconds, then set the pan over boiling water (the pan shouldn’t touch the water). Beating at high-speed, for about 7-9 minutes, or until it’s stiff and glossy. Remove it from the heat, and beat an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Fold into the pumpkin mixture then spread evenly over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate uncovered for 1 hour, then cover and refrigerate for an additional 3 hours or until firm. Garnish with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice; if desired.
Apple Crisp Cheesecake Parfaits
I love apple pie so these parfits are perfect for me! These as well as the other recipes do take time but in my opinion they are worth it because in the end they are wonderful!
APPLE PIE FILLING:
- 3 apples peeled and diced, I used a combination of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp
- 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups plain non-fat or 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Granola and whipped cream for topping the parfaits
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, add the apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, spices, salt and 1/3 cup of water. Stir everything together until combined and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook the apples until they are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Once soft, whisk together the cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup of water in a small bowl, pour it into the apple mixture and stir together.
- Continue to stir until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract then remove from the heat and let it cool.
- While the apple filling cools make the cheesecake.
- In a medium sized bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, add all of the cheesecake ingredients. Use a handheld mixer or an electric mixer to beat everything together until smooth.
- Layer the cheesecake and cooled apple filling into 4-ounce jars or something similar in size. Top with granola, whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Chocolate Turtle Apple Slices
Whats a better way to eat fruit than covered in chcolate and caramel 🙂
Have you ever tried turtle brownies? Well these taste so much like them and include apples so they are healthy (wink). Also, I will leave my favorite turtle brownie recipe linked here so you can try it because they are so amazing!
- 2 very large Fuji apples
- 3 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips ( I use dairy free ones)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup caramels, melted (I use milk and wheat free ones)
- Chopped pecans
- Popsicle sticks
- Slice apples into 1/2″ pieces. With a knife make a little slit in the bottom of each apple slice to make it easier to insert a popsicle stick.
- Melt chips in the microwave on high for about 2 minutes.* Stir in coconut oil until smooth. Dip apple slices in chocolate and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Place caramels in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 45-60 seconds.* Do NOT overheat. Stir until smooth. Drizzle melted caramel over chocolate and sprinkle with nuts.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour. Serve and enjoy immediately. Apples are best the first day. Store in refrigerator.
- *For best results, follow the chocolate chip package instructions for melting chocolate and same for caramel. Follow the caramel package instructions for melting caramels.
- Note: If you’re concerned about biting into an apple seed, just remove them before dipping the apple slice in chocolate
I hope you enjoed these scrumptious Thanksgiving recipes! If you have any questions leave a comment down below and if you try any of these recipes comment below and tell me what you think! ( I will respond to all comments.) Also if you are new please follow my blog and join me on my blogging journey:) Have a great day 🙂