Cooking gluten-free, no matter how long you have been doing it, is always difficult. You need the perfect ingredients that will not cause your creation to flop but don’t want to spend $15 dollars on a bag of almond flour. This is exactly what I had in mind when creating this and all of my recipes; not spending a lot of money but having your food taste delicious.
This homemade pierogi recipe is a family favorite that is perfect for those nights when you want to whip up something quick but still want a nutritious meal.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch -potato starch also works
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped lettuce
- 2 large russet potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkle of cheddar cheese (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients for the dough in a mixing bowl. Add more rice flour or corn starch if needed. Combine until a dough forms then place in the fridge for 1/2 hour to firm.
- Filling: skin and boil the potatoes. Once they are done chop them up into 1/4 inch square pieces
- Add the chopped white onion, shredded carrots, chopped lettuce, potatoes and salt + pepper into a bowl and combine.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out. Then take a circular cookie cutter or glass cup, cut out circles.
- Place 1/2 tbsp of your filling into each circle, fold the circle in half and crimp the edges. Repeat until all of your mixture is used up.
- To warm, take a frying pan and place 1/2 cup water with 1 tbsp canola oil into it and place your pierogis flat side down into it, cover with a tight lid and let cook on medium-high heat for 11 minutes or until the flat side becomes lightly browned and crispy.
- Enjoy 🙂
Delicious gluten-free vegetable pierogis
- 5 sheets of rice paper
- 15 thinly sliced carrot strips & onion strips
- 1/2 cup bean spouts
- 1/2 cup lettuce- break off tiny pieces of lettuce
- 1/2 cup fried egg – replace with tofu if making vegan
- 3 tbsp gluten free hoisin sauce
- canola oil
- olive oil spray
- olive oil for brushing
- Teriyaki ginger dipping sauce:
- 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil toasted
- 1/3 cup water
- Take skillet and add all the vegetables into it, drizzle canola oil over them and cook until lightly browned/fried
- While they are cooking fry up egg/ tofu and add to veggie mix
- While that is cooking, boil a pot of water and add 1 piece of rice paper at a time for a few seconds (until flimsy) into the water, repeat with rest of rice paper until all pieces are ready (pliable) to use
- Once veggies & egg are done take 1 piece of rice paper, spread a little hoisin sauce over it and roll veggie + egg mixture in remembering to leave a small gap at the edge, roll up, repeat until all the rice paper and mixture are gone
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray baking tray with olive oil to avoid sticking, place spring rolls on tray and lightly brush olive oil over them to help avoid sticking.
- Place rolls in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until a crispy and lightly browned outside can be seen, flip them and put back in oven for another 10 minutes
- While rolls are cooling start preparing the dipping sauce.
- Dipping sauce:
- In a sauce pan combine soy sauce, brown sugar, water, rice vinegar and sesame oil on medium heat till sugar dissolves
- Add in ginger and stir
- Add in corn starch, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer on low for 2-3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame seeds.
- Plate your spring rolls, add the dipping sauce to a bowl, ENJOY 🙂
Make this recipe and tag @theresahealeyy in your Instagram photo for a chance to be featured on my blog!
Thanks for reading today’s post and checking out my blog. Next blog post → Wednesday!
𝐻𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶 𝑔𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓉 𝒹𝒶𝓎!
If you use any of the content from this post on your website please credit my blog.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate this post!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!